Pages

Monday, October 7, 2013

Work OUT!

I am starting my 3rd week of working out.  I've already lost 26 pounds and it's AWESOME.

Okay, that's not exactly true, but maybe at the end of this I'll be able to say that.  I haven't really seen much of a drop in weight.  At any time on any day, my weight will fluctuate by5 pounds or so.  If I weigh myself in the morning the scale tells me I've lost about 5 pounds since starting Insanity.  If I weigh myself at night, the scale bends in half and begs me to get off of it.  This glass of wine probably isn't helping, but whatever it's good.

I've been doing good with my diet.  Costco has these mini heads of romaine lettuce, perfect for lettuce wrap sandwiches.  Today I had 6 for lunch.  Probably not the moderation that I'm supposed to do, but they are so small!  They were good though.  A slice of ham, roast beef and chicken, with some tomato and bacon, and some mayo/dijon spread.  Other than eating healthier, the main reason is that it's just too damn expensive to work in South Lake Union.  There are a lot of good places to eat, but only two that are close enough to go to when you're in a hurry.  I'm getting tired of Jimmy Johns, which is kind of ironic since I am making lettuce wraps to replace the Jimmy John's un-wich that I usually get.  (The un-wich is their lettuce wraps).

I have been doing my workouts in the morning.  I wake up at 4:30 to do the exercises, which are about 40 minutes.  That gives me enough time to get ready and make lunch.  But just this week I started driving in to work instead of taking the bus.  It has actually cut my commute time by nearly an hour on a good day.  The bus route goes down 2nd ave from basically Seattle Center to the Stadiums.  On any day sports games, run-a-way trucks causing cars to explode or some crazy meth lady yelling at parked cars can cause traffic to come to a stop.  On those good days, I leave work at 4 and get home around 5:45.  Today I left at 4 and got home at 4:45.

Anyway, getting sidetracked.  Because I can get home earlier, I am going to switch up my workouts to the evening when I get home.  I'll be able to sleep in a little more and actually make breakfast before I leave instead of eating at one of the places that thinks they need to charge $9.00 for half an omelet because of where they are located.

The exercises are great though.  If you're looking for an workout routine, I would recommend Insanity. Don't get me wrong, it is hard.  And it takes a lot of self motivation to do it, or if you have someone else to do it with you that helps too.  But once you get past the first couple weeks, it's great.  The intensity is so high with this program you always come out of it feeling like you really got an excellent workout.

I know that I feel better just in general.  At least on the days where I needed to run to the bus, I don't feel like I'm going to die the whole way home.  (See previous blog entries).  It's still too early to see any real results in the mirror or on the scale, but my general fitness level feels higher.  We have 51 days left until Hawaii.  And while the workouts aren't going to change my Irish...uhhh...slightly white complexion, at least I can feel a little better about myself while I'm turning my skin into a nice shade of lobster.

If anyone has questions about the program, let me know.  I think it's great, and will probably continue doing it and probably try to incorporate p90x in the next round to get some weightlifting going on as well.

No comments: