Pages

Thursday, September 26, 2013

p90x update - Day 3 and 4

So I started p90x on Tuesday.  So far it's been 2 days of weights and one day of cardio.  Tomorrow is yoga.  I hate yoga.  I don't have the attention span for it.  I barely have the attention span to read my email.  And, this workout is 90 minutes long.  I remember from the last time that we didn't like it, but we struggled through it.  I'll still do it though.

I do feel like I'm not getting enough of a workout with it though.  The weights are fine, and it's really hard.  But sometimes I feel like if I'm not dripping with sweat then I'm not doing enough.  Lifting weights just doesn't generate that much.  I will keep at it though, but I'm contemplating switching over to the Insanity program and just doing cardio.

Today was our Microsoft company meeting at the Key Arena.  It was scheduled to go from 10-4.  So I spend the last week planning out my bus route to and from and the best options that I could find.  I've been told that I'm slightly O.C.D. about stuff like that.  haha.  So of course, the meeting runs an hour long.  I didn't plan for the meeting to go an hour long, so I don't know when the next buses run.  I do know that my regular bus runs every half hour between 4 and 5:30, plus one extra at 5:15.  I also know all the stops it makes.

Steve Ballmer wraps up and I make a bee-line to the door.  I had been looking on my phone for the best route to get from the Key Arena to 2nd Ave and Bell St.  It doesn't look that far away.  (Famous last words).  My normal walk from my office to the bus stop is about 6 blocks.  This is more, but it doesn't look like much more.

I leave the Key Arena at 5:04pm and the schedule online for my bus says it will be at 2nd and Pike at 5:17pm.  Pike street is 7 blocks away from Bell street, and if there is no traffic or lights it take about 3.5 minutes to get there.  I estimate the bus will be at 2nd and Bell by 5:15pm.

I get to the monorail station at 5:06pm and realize the only way I will get there is by running.  I definitely wore the wrong pants for this, but at least I don't have a bag to carry today.  So I run.  Less than 10 minutes to get there.  This is MUCH further than I had anticipated.  The combination of nice pants, dress shoes and a sweater is not a good one for running.

As you can see in the picture below, it is not close.  I know where the first stop is for the bus, at 7th and Bell street.  Due to construction, they have to make a detour off of Bell st and go down Wall street to 2nd, then up to Bell.  By the time I run through 3 don't walk signs I make it to 2nd and Wall and I see the bus coming.  It's 5:15pm.  I dig out whatever I have left and try to run more.  Somehow I manage to make it to the bus stop and as I turn around the bus is pulling over to pick us up.

 
 
 
As I'm standing there ready to puke all over the sidewalk like the crackie that I just ran past, the driver opens the door with a smile.  I somehow manage to ooze my way up the steps.  In all my wheezing and coughing, she probably thought I was dying from some Ebola virus.  No one sat next to me, which isn't surprising since I was shivering from the cold but in an all out sweat. 
 
I am not in shape to be running like that.  I am glad that I managed to catch the bus.  But I really need to keep at my exercises.  And as much as felt like Mr. Freeze stabbing me in the lungs, I loved it.  It was a good workout and really amps me up to keep at it.

That's all for now.  I don't think I'll be doing daily posts, but I'll check in often.

No comments: