Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

p90x - Day....16?

I've lost track of what day it is. Yesterday was week 3 day 2. Plyometrics. Again. To keep in form with Monday, I really tried to do well in all the moves. Quality over quantity. I made sure to emphasize the stretches in the squats.

I haven't worked out this hard in a long time. At about half way I had to take my shirt off because it was just sticking to me. Also at one point, I felt like I was going to puke. But I worked through it. I still had to modify some of the squats. Especially the jumping ones like the jack squats or the Mary Catherines. (Superstar!) But where I modified I made sure that I was at least working harder. Instead of jumping around and doing the squats, I stepped into in but made sure my form was great and that I was flexing the muscles that I needed to. Just because you modify something to be 'easier' doesn't mean that it has to be less of a workout. In fact, I was going crazy at the standing military march. This exercise is basically walking in place, alternating raising the opposite foot and hand, as a military person might exaggeratedly march. Super low impact, but when you concentrate on the movement it really gets your heart going.

I wasn't wearing a HRM, so I am not 100% sure what my number were. At the end of the whole workout, I took a standing heart rate. I was at 60 beats in 20 seconds. ~180 bpm. And the last 4 exercises aren't even as high of an impact or as high in cardio as some of the other ones. I am pretty sure that my max was over 200. Not really sure if that is a good thing or not, but I survived. All in all, it was a great workout. Being able to looks back at the first day I did this and now, I can definitely see an improvement. Even though there isn't really any visible changes in my body, I can feel that I am trying harder and doing more now than I was. And that just increases my desire to do more.

As I have done even before starting this, I weight myself every morning. Before starting, I was regularly between 180 and 185. I would fluctuate a pound here and there, but I was always in that range. For the last week, I have been under 180 every time I have weighed myself. This morning I was at 175. I'm not doing this to lose weight, but that will be one of the results of doing this. I actually expect to come out of this right around my current weight, as I would expect to put on more muscle as my weight limit increases on some of these exercises.

I feel great. Not just because of the workout, but because of the accomplishment of knowing that we're actually completing the workouts. And we've gone this far. I must say, having someone to do this with makes it a lot better. Especially when both people have the same drive and determination to do everything they can with this and make it worth it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It is crazy how intense a workout can be even with the modified version! I know I do lots of modifications during Plyo and I still get an awesome workout. Great job on the weight loss!

Unknown said...

It is crazy how intense a workout can be even with the modified version! I know I do lots of modifications during Plyo and I still get an awesome workout. Great job on the weight loss!