Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

p90x - yoga

I've always thought that I do really well managing my stress. I've never been one for conflict and I don't let the little things get to me. But, I have my days like everyone else. On those days, I find my peace when I see my wife. I see her and everything else doesn't matter and instantly goes away. My day is better. I give her a big hug and it all floats away. I have the most important thing to me in my arms, and that's what matters.

I start out with that because today was one of those days. It was a stressful day and on top of that traffic was so bad that it was taking about 1.5 hours to go about 8 miles. We were able to take back roads and avoid most of the traffic, so that made it better. But before she picked me up, I was thinking...lets put this yoga thing to the test. Can this stuff really make me calm down and feel relaxed?

Tonight was yoga. And I will admit, this was the first night where I actually felt like I was enjoying it. I felt calmer and had a little more patience. Granted, some of that calmness may have come from seeing my wife, but I really did try to concentrate on the yoga. The funny thing is, I started to get a little goofy with it and I was actually doing the moves better. haha. For instance, when we were in the warrior sequences I was making warrior noises. 'AhhWaaah' 'Keeeyah' At one point I think I was starting to sound like Bruce Lee. But then I started to notice that my form was actually really good. I was low in my squats and my hand placements were really good.

Now, there are A LOT of moves that I just can't do. Most of the ones where you have to stand on one leg for 8 minutes while doing all these other moves. But, they even said that they are advanced moves, so I don't feel quite as bad for not doing them. And the others were where I needed to straighten my legs. I don't know what it is about that, but I just can't straighten my legs like that.

So, we stopped with about 20 minutes left. We did all the main yoga stuff, but then it was getting into just stretches. Normally I think we would have finished but because we were both really hungry and it was getting later than normal (because of the traffic, we got home late). So we decided to call it a night from yoga for that. I can't do the crane and stuff like that anyway, so I was just sitting there.

But I still feel like we got a good workout in. We did all the big beginning stuff. Now, I don't doubt the mental and spiritual healing powers of yoga. I think if you have a committed mind, it is a very powerful exercise. Maybe that will come for me, but I don't quite feel like I am at that point yet. For me, it's still just a workout. But, we don't give up. :)

I gotta say though, so far I've not found anything that can match the healing powers of my wife. Having that connection with her is all I need to calm my mind and make my day complete.

No comments: